Hummingbird Nectar Recipe
Courtesy of www.hummingbird-guide.com
Here is a homemade hummingbird nectar recipe.
* Step 1: Bring 1 cup of water to a boil.
* Step 2: Add 1/4 cup of white granulated sugar.
* Step 3: Stir well until the sugar is dissolved.
* Step 4: Boil this mixture for 2 minutes to help prevent it from spoiling too rapidly.
* Step 5: Allow to thoroughly cool.
* Step 6: Pour into a clean hummingbird feeder.
* Use a larger 4 parts water to 1 part sugar mixture to make a bigger batch of nectar.
* You can store the unused nectar in the refrigerator for 2 weeks.
* Do not use honey as this can causes a fatal infection to a hummingbird’s tongue.
* Artificial sweeteners or sugars have no nutritional value. Please don’t use them.
* Red dyes are not necessary and some may be unhealthy.
* Remember to clean your feeder regularly.
* Change the nectar once a week and more often in hot weather.
* NOTE: A sugar water mixture can quickly ferment in the heat and sun causing bacteria and mold.
We have been using this nectar recipe for years and we have had many hungry birds at our feeders.
We hope your feeders will be as busy with hummingbirds enjoying this delectable treat!